Friday, June 26, 2009

What a crazy news day

Boy yesterday was one for the ages as far as cheap celebrity news goes. While I certainly hold no ill will towards either Farrah Fawcett or Michael Jackson, their deaths are no more a tragedy than the deaths of anyone else who died yesterday. Our media thinks that due to the fact they are celebrities, their lives are much more worthy of attention and therefore deserve far greater attention.

I for one think it would be refreshing to see local TV news run an obituary when a person who helped out in the local community passes away. Every town has them, the people who help out at soup kitchens or help those in need, maybe paint the town common bandstand or make sure everyone has Christmas presents. These are real people and people who contribute far more to the fabric of our society than eccentric celebrities whose only contribution is a warning of how not to act.

It is hard to believe we are almost at the Fourth of July. I think the lousy weather has us feeling so down that it makes us shake our heads to look up and see that we are one week away from what is often considered the mid-point of the summer. Still it is a great holiday and a day to enjoy the summer weather and enjoy everything that is the U.S. of A.

I am still sickened about the poor young 7 year old boy murdered by his "father" in Worcester on Father's Day. I put the quotes in because I wish to describe this piece of filth and can't think of a better term without devolving into petty name calling which is all too easy. I am a firm believer in the death penalty. I know what the arguments are both for and against and I can describe my own support for it in one word, justice.

First of all, I believe that the family of the convicted should be allowed to decide if they wish for the state to pursue the death penalty or life in prison. I do believe that the death penalty should only be used in cases of first degree murder and I am willing to use any and all DNA tests and crime lab tests which can virtually eliminate the risk of putting an innocent person to death. Keep in mind that the reason stories of persons freed from prison after being wrongfully imprisoned get such attention because they are so rare. But as the man once said, let the punishment fit the crime!

Well John Smoltz didn't exactly light up the field last night. Granted it was a year since he last pitched but I think I can say it was a big disappointment to see him hit so hard by the Washington Nationals!!! The Sox have a solid first four and I hope number five doesn't turn out to be a weak spot. I am guessing that Clay B. may be up in the bigs in a short time.

Well off to make sense of this weird world!

No comments:

Post a Comment