Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Democracy on the March

Watching the protests in Iran on the news this morning I am struck by two things. How passionately some people in the world will fight for a right that many American's take for granted and how some governments think they can steal elections and then intimidate their own people into not only accepting the results, but doing so with a smile on their faces. Had Iran's president, whose name I can not be bothered to spell, had won by 52 to 48 percent I doubt there would have been much of a stink. But like Putin or Hugo Chavez, they insist on winning by these huge margins that show that the ballots were fixed. I think the people who protest are incredibly brave and here we sit 20 years on from Tienanmen Square and I hope we have learned that crushing protest is something that is un-American.

On the local level, my business process keeps on trucking. Right now it's web site hell. I can't get over the people who advertise that they want to work with you and can do so inexpensively. They agree a quid-pro-quo to get the process started but then decide they really need market rates in order to proceed. I have to say that if I am going to pay market rates well then I want someone with a lot more experience then you.

It is ironic how much we rely on web sites these days. With my business we may not need a physical office for a year or more but we need a web site yesterday to get started. Not only is the web site a key part of our marketing message and essential to communicating with our customers, it serves as an essential part of our company's operations. So it is both the window dressing and the back room sewing part to use an analogy from days gone by.

I was upset to see the hated Lakers win the NBA Championship the other night. Of course the saddest fact is that the Celtics have become more like the Lakers at least when it comes to attending their games where one can hardly see the game through the cheerleaders, roving cameras and other stupid stuts. I actually would like to see a basketball game when I buy a basketball ticket? Go figure huh?

Forgive my tanget but the other point I hated to see was the knuckleheads who always crawl out of the sewers and set things on fire and turn over cars when their team wins a championship. I think that instead of just treating these people for being disorderly in public, we should treat them as the rioters that they are and make sure that they do some hard time. Put their stupid faces in the local papers and make them pay to be tested for drugs and alcohol so that they understand how stupid they are. Oh and while we are at it, in these tight economic times, trash barrells in schools and parks need to be emptied and dog parks need to be cleaned, why not let these bozo's do it?

I am pleased to see two good ideas come from Beacon Hill in one week never mind one year. One is to test older drivers which I believe is long over due. The data is well established that most accidents are caused by drivers under age 18 and over age 75. There are laws for those under 18, which are just and fair, we now need to balance the scales for those over 75. Second, there is a proposal for a law that requires smokers to smoke 25 feet from the front doors of state buildings. I think it is a great start but I would say make it in front of any building!

No comments:

Post a Comment