Monday, July 6, 2009

What a gorgeous weekend

I am hard pressed to remember a 4th of July or any other holiday weekend when there was such an absolutely perfect stretch of weather. Sitting outside yesterday and reading was an absolute joy and it made me realize just how much I missed the sun during the month of June. The sun felt so absolutely divine that I was so sorry to see it set at night. The best part of all I think was that in atypical New England fashion, we did not jump from winter right into summer. No this glorious interlude helped us relax and break ourselves into the routine and it was fantastic!

Now being the sports nut that I am and the devoted Red Sox fan, I have to say that while I was thrilled with all the Red Sox who made the American League All Star team, the inclusion of Tim Wakefield was in my mind the perfect cherry on top of the sundae that was the week that just passed. Wakefield has pitched in the bigs for 17 years and never made the All-Star game and not only does he deserve the trip to St. Louis this year but I think it is long over due. In this era where you have to do only one thing as a pitcher and nothing more, Wakefield has done everything the Red Sox ever asked him to do! Great job Wake!

I was fascinated by Sarah Palin quitting as Alaska governor. According to an interview I saw with a Vanity Fair writer, Palin did a very poor job in the McCain campaign and made very few friends and admirers among national Republican parties. Personally I thought she was a long shot if she ran in 2012 and I think this action killed any shot she ever had. And let's not forget that she has a number of ethical clouds hanging over her and there were strong doubts that she would be re-elected to serve another term in 2010 in Alaska.

I have to also say how horrified I am over the 8 people killed in traffic accidents on the 4th of July. By and large they included two things, alcohol and speed/not wearing seat belts. There are two things I think of when I see drunk driving accidents. First, if the driver survives, and they usually do, and is drunk then they have committed murder just as if they put a gun to the person's head and pulled the trigger. Send them to prison for life and you will see less DUI. Second, if you test over the limit you lose your licence to you finish your trial. Currently in Massachusetts its 30 days. Third, we need the auto manufacturers to construct a system that will not turn over the ignition unless the seat belt is engaged. The technology is there why isn't it being used? Just like the technology to have anti-lock breaks and air bags. Make it mandatory!

Well today is a hard day for people because we're all back to work so enjoy the nice weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment